The Special Needs Program provides assistance to eligible citizens in time of disaster or when an evacuation has been ordered. This may be sheltering at a general shelter, or a special needs shelter that includes limited medical oversight and needs such as oxygen, as well as evacuation transportation to and from the shelter. When evacuation orders are issued within the county, registrants are contacted and advised when transportation will arrive to pick them up from a home and take them to a shelter.
The program also provides for citizens in need of transportation due to economic difficulties, a disability, or lack of transportation from their home to a shelter. Residents must pre-register and must renew each year.
Who is Eligible:
- Martin County residents requiring transportation to and from a designated emergency shelter;
- Residing in an ordered evacuation area, recommended evacuation area, or unsafe residence (mobile/manufactured home), or;
- Requiring, within the limits of services provided, assistance with mobility, oxygen, routine medication administration, and/or routine health monitoring;
- Residents requiring greater levels of assistance than can be provided by this service such as a hospital bed, hemodialysis, life support equipment, IV chemotherapy, full ventilator, etc. must make alternative plans with the assistance of a physician or health care professional.
How to Register:
- Residents can register online by clicking the "Online Registration" button, OR;
- Residents can print the registration by clicking the "Registration Form" button, then mail it in to the address on the form, OR;
- Residents can pick the forms up in person at Martin County Emergency Management at 800 SE Monterey Road in Stuart, or at any library branch, OR;
- Residents can call our Martin County Special Needs Coordinator at (772) 287-1652.
- Home health agencies must register clients upon intake.
A committee reviews each application and determines eligibility of the applicant. Individuals with medical needs that exceed the level of care available at the Special Needs Shelter need to have a care plan in place to address their individual needs during an emergency situation. Individuals with no medical needs who just require transportation during evacuation orders will be transported to a general population shelter.
Contact Emergency Management:
If you have additional questions about the Martin County Special Needs Program or need further assistance, select the "Contact Us" to submit an inquiry or call Martin County Emergency Management at (772) 287-1652.